Have you bought the latest Redmi flagship yet? If yes, and you’d like to customize your device’s software, then we have just the thing for you. In this tutorial, we will present the detailed method to help you install TWRP recovery and root Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus.
Since the past two years, Xiaomi has gained a huge amount of trust among the users. The company has indeed managed to climb up among the top Android OEMs. One factor that adds to Xiaomi’s reputation in the smartphone marketplace, is its very own Redmi series. These are the budget smartphones designed by the company and focuses on the affordable price spectrum.
Despite the low-budget price tag, Xiaomi has always managed to deliver significant performance and satisfactory software support. The OEM introduced the latest successor of the said series – Redmi 5 and the Redmi 5 Plus during December, last year. While the phones really leave a good impression of the hardware and design, they are still limited to use the generic MIUI software. For those who want to play with the internals and customize the software with third-party features can follow the guide below to root Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus.
Guide to Install TWRP and Root Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus
The Redmi 5 and 5 Plus comes with a 5.7-inches and 5.99-inches full-screen display (18:9 ratio) and powerful Snapdragon 450/636 chipset respectively. The bigger device also adds a 12MP + 5MP dual camera setup using the Sony IMX 486 premiere sensor. The devices offer a 3300 mAh and 4000 mAh battery, for the Redmi 5 and 5 Plus respectively. This makes the phones capable enough to provide day-long juice with moderate usage.
The only downside to the device is the MicroUSB 2.0 port. We believe Xiaomi could have done it better with the trending USB Type-C interface, provided that most other budget OEM smartphones have it already.
On the inside, the Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus come with the company’s latest MIUI 9 skin based on Android Nougat. But that’s never going to be enough for the Android power-users. In this case, you may choose to customize your phone’s stock firmware. To do so, you will first need a custom recovery like TWRP. Once you have that, you can easily flash SuperSU to root Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus.
The official development team behind the TWRP recovery was able to flash and run a fully stable build on the said devices. It wasn’t much later that the official build went live for the users to use. During the initial instructions, we will guide you on how to flash TWRP recovery on Redmi 5/5 Plus. Later on, you will learn how to root the device by flashing the infamous SuperSU zip.
Without further ado, let us start. Before you even get to the steps, make sure to fulfill the stated requirements first.
- It is strongly advised to backup your data completely before following the procedure.
- Charge your Redmi phone to a sufficient battery level. This will prevent any sudden shutdowns during the rooting process.
- Download Android platform tools package (ADB and Fastboot): platform-tools-latest-windows.zip
- Extract the contents and move it all to C:ADB, where you will manually need to create the “ADB” folder.
- Download and install Xiaomi USB drivers on your PC: xiaomi_usb_driver.rar
Once you have achieved the stated requirements, follow the steps down below to root Redmi 5 and Redmi 5 Plus.
Install TWRP Recovery
- Download TWRP recovery image for your device: Redmi 5 / Redmi 5 Plus
- Copy the downloaded file to C:adb. This is where the ADB and Fastboot files reside.
- In the same folder, hold down the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty space.
- Select the “Open PowerShell window here” option from the pop-up menu.
- A blue-colored PowerShell window will open up on your PC screen.
- Turn off your phone completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Down + Power button simultaneously to enter Fastboot Mode.
- Once your device is in Fastboot Mode, connect it to the PC using the provided USB cable.
- Enter the following command to install TWRP on Redmi 5:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-rosy.img
- For Redmi 5 Plus:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.2.1-0-vince.img
- Once the recovery has been flashed, reboot your device:
Once you have installed TWRP, it is quite easy to root Redmi 5 (Plus) using SuperSU.
Steps to Root Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus using SuperSU
- Download the latest SuperSU zip (SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip).
- Connect your Redmi device to the PC and enable MTP mode.
- Copy the downloaded SuperSU zip to the phone’s internal storage or SD card.
- Disconnect the phone and power it off.
- Next, hold down the Volume Up + Power buttons until the Mi logo appears on the screen.
- Your device should now enter TWRP.
- Tap on the “Install” button.
- Browse to the location where you transferred the file during step 3.
- Select the SuperSU zip “SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip” file.
- Once selected, swipe the button on the screen to root Redmi 5/Redmi 5 Plus using SuperSU.
- The flashing process will finish in a few seconds.
- When it’s complete, tap on the “Reboot System” button.
Your Redmi device will then boot into the rooted OS. You may go ahead and try some root-enabled apps, or even install Xposed modules enhancing your phone’s functionality. So, this was our detailed guide to help you install TWRP and root Redmi 5 (Plus). If you have any questions regarding the process or rooting, in general, then post a comment below.